Saturday, January 28, 2012

Small Town

Last night Mistress and Slave went to an art opening in an older, semi-revitalized part of town. It was an urbanista thing. Lots of folks dressed in various shades of black,  spanning the age range. The artist was someone we barely know - but have known a while, former husband of someone I worked with years ago, but who let Mistress know about his show through facebook.

(I think he was flirting a bit with Mistress via facebook messages, but I suppose it could have just been "good marketing", huh?)

Mistress, of course, was looking quite fetching: black boots, tights and dress (yes, fans, those peek-a-boo tights), some tasteful but eye catching SW jewelry, and a turquoise scarf to add a little color. I always feel like the luckiest guy in the room to have her on my arm.


One of the odd aspects about living in a town like River City is all of the connections that randomly pop up at an event like this. The social molecules are just too tightly compacted, so that we're all just bouncing off one another.

So as we entered the door we were confronted by a woman who I have known for years -- she actually used to date my since departed brother during the Reagan regime -- and who Mistress is CONVINCED (despite no supportive evidence I might add) I somehow have the hots for.

As she chatted us up in her rat-a-tat style, I probably made the mistake of expressing knowledge of her recent performance (she is an amateur singer songwriter) at a club in NYC. Somehow, my addled brain even recalled the name of the club. Of course, this was knowledge I had gleened simply from her facebook postings about said gig, not because I had either spoken to her, or somehow snuck out to attend this gig while Mistress was sleeping one night.

In any event, I could tell Mistress was a little discomfited by this expression of what she later described as "intimacy" with this woman (who I had not spoken to, let alone seen in at least a couple of years).... ah, well..... I expect I've already earned a few strokes from Mistress's crop this afternoon.  Better for her to let it out than let it fester is my motto.

Of course, we were not done with all these strange encounters. It turned out that the artist who seemed to be flirting with Mistress had somehow become engaged in recent weeks to a woman we had just met only recently. Her bizarre connection to us was as the ex-wife of a guy who had lived with and almost married my ex-wife in the 1990's. (Of course, before that she was married to a former NFL QB, but I won't go down that road.... I know you all hate it when I get into sports and politics).

"Hmmmm..... how did that happen so fast Mistress.... and here he was flirting with you and courting someone else.... shocking......"

"Shut up.... Slave...."

See, she was still pissed about the singer song-writer.

Then the ex-wife of the artist shows up with their mutual daughter. "Just showing support for his work", s she put it.

This is the woman I worked with in the 1980's and 1990's. In their conversation, Mistress reminded me that somehow this woman dated or was otherwise involved with a guy who Mistress worked with at the time (he now shows up on MSNBC a good bit). This woman, nice, but always a bit of a flake, described meeting Mistress circa 1988, in her mid-20's -all excited about her trip to the Democratic National Convention that summer. And it seems she did take note that Slave, her more senior colleague, was on that trip too. Apparently someone was connecting our dots for us.

But as she noted, "the statute of limitations has expired on that one...."

Now, who am I missing....

There was the Jewish real estate investor who sidled up the Mistress at some point while I was fetching her another little plastic cup of wine. He seemed to be taken by her, and a little disappointed when I showed up. They quickly ran through all of their tribal connections: mothers were pals, that guy he went to high school that we all know, yadda, yadda.

Somehow I suspect Mistress will be hearing from him on facebook.




6 comments:

  1. Good grief! Reminds me of an ant farm.

    Surely hope you can escape at some point in the not-so-distant future.

    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I think this is all very sweet, and the thing I like best is you saying, "I always feel like the luckiest guy in the room to have her on my arm."
    -sin

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the way you say the people were like "molecules bouncing off each other ..." the science geek in me just went "ooohhh!" ...lol.

    funny how convoluted our connections get as we get older, eh? As to remembering random bits of data about people you don't really care about but just know (i mean, she did date your brother, right?)...i do that too. I'll be you remembered the club coz you were thinking about taking Mistress there the next time you two are in the Big Apple...

    *smile*

    nilla

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two know more famous people than I have ever met

    Very cool

    But I want an introduction to Tiger

    Yours

    Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  5. All
    for the record...while "I have permission," Mick is the one with previous girlfriends around every corner" and I DO NOT DO well with this! Ugh! and the one we ran into last night -- I saw the intimacy and am not buying the party line on this. A chick like me knows what she witnesses. This is a SMALL town and I both love and loathe that about it. Lots of skeletons. YES, Sin he helped with his line about my being on his arm -- as he well should -- I am a darn good one...WC..none of these folks were famous -- that was yesterday's blog -- infamous only!
    love
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. All right Molly! Don't blame you for finding the company line a little self serving this time. Maybe more than a few swats are in order. Maybe a wooden spoon??? It's for his own good. Otherwise, he might turn into something like this Newt character we've been reading about!

    Love,

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

We Love your comments.... please join in: